IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! The Bulldog Manifesto When Does Loving the Flag Become Flag Idolatry? - The Bulldog Manifesto

« Home | The Speech George W. Bush SHOULD Make Tonight » | Author of the Flag Burning Amendment Takes Bribes... » | Anthrax-- Terrorist Plot Against the Left? » | The Men, Women, and Children of Fallujah » | Liberal for a Day....Alan Greenspan? » | The Big Fix » | Does we truly want to catch Osama Bin Laden? » | You gotta see this! » | Who is General Smedley Butler? » | Whoppers and Gorditas...we won! » 

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

When Does Loving the Flag Become Flag Idolatry?

Sitting there last night, watching George W. Bush give his speech in front of the Army at Fort Bragg, I marveled at the amount of flags on stage with George W. Bush.





Now, I grew up loving that flag. I pledged allegiance to that flag every day at school. Since 9/11, however, I've been seeing a lot more of that flag, and I'm starting to wonder, has our love for the flag become a sick obsession?

Wikipedia says that:
"A flag is a piece of cloth flown from a pole or mast, usually intended for signaling or identification. Flags were initially created for signalling (as in semaphore), and for the identification of those who displayed them, and are still used for that purpose today. Flags are also used in messaging or advertising, or for decorative purposes, though at this less formal end the distinction between a flag and a simple cloth banner is blurred. Generally, a piece of cloth is a flag if it is flown like a flag, with one side attached, though many flags are recognisable if displayed in other forms.
The flag is merely a symbol identifying our nation. As a symbol, it represents the various people who make up our nation and the various (changing) beliefs that represent our nation. As such, every person sees that flag in a different way, typically, as a reflection of their own respective view of the Nation, as a whole. Some see it without fault. Others see it without merit. Many, like me, see it somewhere in between.

And then there are some who wrap themselves in the flag in a way that wreaks of idolatry. Idolatry is defined as: 1. Worship of idols. 2. Blind or excessive devotion to something.

When I see over fifteen flags on stage with the President, I gotta think "it seems a bit excessive." And thats okay, I suppose. But when that collective obsession attempts to kill the mother which gave birth to the symbol, namely Freedom, then we have a problem akin to matricide.

Last week, the House passed the Flag Amendment which would make burning a flag unconstitutional. Apart from the nightmarish logistical problem of discerning what will be considered a flag for the sake of this Draconian mandate, I believe the very fact that this amendment has passed the House (again), is a sign that our flag "love" has become flag obsession or better yet, flag idolatry.

Now tell me, in a land that cherishes freedom, when we outlaw the free expression of flag burning and turn democratic dissenters into prison worthy criminals, hasn't our love become a tad bit excessive? When you love something, you do not hug it until it can no longer breath. You let it breathe.

Freedom needs to breathe.

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Yup...and the whole idolatry of the flag is even more amusing given that this land is infested with holy-rollers. ;-)

Yes- have all of our conservative god fearing friends forgotten that whole "No graven images or idols" commandment that they think should be posted everywhere?

George Carlin put it best when he said that flags are for the "symbol minded".

Fifteen flags is a nonverbal attempt to manipulate, nothing more. Just as you need no church to worship, you need no flag to be a patriot. It boils down to what is in the heart, the truth of the intentions.

Hi BullDog, I tagged you to answer these 5 quesitons. See

5 questions tag game

Excellent post. I never noticed it, but you are so correct on the flag "worship."

Very well expressed.

I liked your point on "what constitutes a flag?" for the purposed of flag burning. I can burn a red shirt. I can burn a half red, half white shirt. What if there's stripes? If a T-shirt with a picture of the flag on it isn't a flag itself, what if that T-shirt were hung on a flag pole? Can we burn flags with 48 stars, or "Don't Tred on Me"? Perhaps the legal document says in more detail, but of course the common man won't get to learn about it.

I think if people want to get on the flag bandwagon, let em and get over it. Lord knows there are enough bandwagons going around people are jumping on that are a lot more negative and vengful. Also, people have the "right" to burn the flag. They also have the "right" to douse themselves with gasoline and light a match

Hey there. I just stumbled across your post in the most unusual way. I have my on blog, and I posted a similar post around the time entitle "Flag Idolatry." Well, I accidently activity the "search for highlighted text" action in Firefox, and this is what I got. You can read my post at http://reasonsvoice.com/articles/flag-idolatry/

Careful people. You'll have a FOX News crew outside your house ready to name and shame you!

Go to Fort Bragg and express your freedom by burning a 'mere symbol' in front of a whole army of idolaters...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
» » »

Yup...and the whole idolatry of the flag is even more amusing given that this land is infested with holy-rollers. ;-)

Yes- have all of our conservative god fearing friends forgotten that whole "No graven images or idols" commandment that they think should be posted everywhere?

George Carlin put it best when he said that flags are for the "symbol minded".

Fifteen flags is a nonverbal attempt to manipulate, nothing more. Just as you need no church to worship, you need no flag to be a patriot. It boils down to what is in the heart, the truth of the intentions.

Hi BullDog, I tagged you to answer these 5 quesitons. See

5 questions tag game

Excellent post. I never noticed it, but you are so correct on the flag "worship."

Very well expressed.

I liked your point on "what constitutes a flag?" for the purposed of flag burning. I can burn a red shirt. I can burn a half red, half white shirt. What if there's stripes? If a T-shirt with a picture of the flag on it isn't a flag itself, what if that T-shirt were hung on a flag pole? Can we burn flags with 48 stars, or "Don't Tred on Me"? Perhaps the legal document says in more detail, but of course the common man won't get to learn about it.

I think if people want to get on the flag bandwagon, let em and get over it. Lord knows there are enough bandwagons going around people are jumping on that are a lot more negative and vengful. Also, people have the "right" to burn the flag. They also have the "right" to douse themselves with gasoline and light a match

Hey there. I just stumbled across your post in the most unusual way. I have my on blog, and I posted a similar post around the time entitle "Flag Idolatry." Well, I accidently activity the "search for highlighted text" action in Firefox, and this is what I got. You can read my post at http://reasonsvoice.com/articles/flag-idolatry/

Careful people. You'll have a FOX News crew outside your house ready to name and shame you!

Go to Fort Bragg and express your freedom by burning a 'mere symbol' in front of a whole army of idolaters...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
» » »

Add a comment

 
All Bark. No Bite.
The Bulldog Manifesto


Headlines from the Impeachment 

Blogosphere
Provided by First Sustainable
Add this box to your site
Add your feed to this box




The Dog House